![]() |
| First Picture in Vegas |
The night we landed we kicked off the trip with a bang by going to my first Cirque du Soleil performance. I would definitely recommend the Mystère performance, which is the original of the 7 Cirque du Soleil show in Las Vegas. Seeing all the acrobats climb up everything, soar through the air, and perform feats that strain plausibility was a truly magical experience.
![]() |
![]() Mystère by Cirque du soleil |
The icing on the cake was having the show end with a big snail. Caiqian's unofficial spirit creature.
Bucket List Speedrun - 3 items in 1 hour
From my perspective one of the main appeals of Las Vegas was that I could cross-off some of my, let's say, "glitzy" bucket list items without being judged since "anything goes in Vegas." So I decided I would cross off wearing a white suit, taking a limo ride, and taking a helicopter ride in one fell swoop.
Wearing a white suit is something I've been waiting to do for at least 7 years, as seen in this old blog post (control-f "white suit")
http://bryanineurope.blogspot.com/2011/05/venice-who-needs-roads-when-youve-got.html
Part of the hold up was that I didn't want to spend lots of $$$$, and these ensembles can cost hundreds or thousands dollars. So over the years I collected the white shoes, belt, tie, and suit whenever it was found at a decent price, hoping for the day when it would all come together.
... and the photos below were the first time I wore the whole ensemble! Overall it cost less than $200. We also bundled the limo and helicopter ride saving lots of money (thanks groupon), making this the cheapest possible way to kill these extravagant bucket list items.
Part of the hold up was that I didn't want to spend lots of $$$$, and these ensembles can cost hundreds or thousands dollars. So over the years I collected the white shoes, belt, tie, and suit whenever it was found at a decent price, hoping for the day when it would all come together.
... and the photos below were the first time I wore the whole ensemble! Overall it cost less than $200. We also bundled the limo and helicopter ride saving lots of money (thanks groupon), making this the cheapest possible way to kill these extravagant bucket list items.
![]() |
![]() ![]() Photo Op before the night on the town |
After getting my suit on, Caiqian and I strutted down to our limousine which drove us to our waiting helicopter. I'd never been inside a limo before so I was surprised that there was a TV playing hip music videos, a laser machine, and changing color bulbs (and no seat belts). I get the concept now - a limo can "keep the party going" (after leaving a club I imagine).
![]() |
![]() Limo service to and from Helicopter |
Caiqian and I were then dropped off at our helicopter, which took us in the air to look down at the strip.
![]() |
![]() ![]() Helicopter Ride |
The flight was around 10 minutes which was perfect to make sure Caiqian wouldn't get motion sick. I found the whole experience very similar to flying my FPV drone, the helicopter feels very similar to a drone (versus a plane for instance). Not surprising in retrospect, but it was an interesting realization at the time.
Just as memorable as my triple-bucket-list kill was a venue that I just happened to stumble upon in our hotel magazine. There's a company, Zero Latency, which is on the forefront of VR technology. And they offered an opportunity to play a video game where you can walk freely around a room while shooting robots with a virtual gun using a 1:1 physical prop.
I was amazed when we put out googles on, that the gun in real life translated perfectly 1:1 with the gun in the virtual world. I can't praise the programmers enough for completely matching the guns's position in the game and real life. Additionally whenever I took a step my avatar did the same, and even matched actions like crouching. We also talked with each other using our headsets, which helped you forget we were in a room smaller than the vastness of the videogame.
Best Virtual Reality Experience Ever
Just as memorable as my triple-bucket-list kill was a venue that I just happened to stumble upon in our hotel magazine. There's a company, Zero Latency, which is on the forefront of VR technology. And they offered an opportunity to play a video game where you can walk freely around a room while shooting robots with a virtual gun using a 1:1 physical prop.
I was amazed when we put out googles on, that the gun in real life translated perfectly 1:1 with the gun in the virtual world. I can't praise the programmers enough for completely matching the guns's position in the game and real life. Additionally whenever I took a step my avatar did the same, and even matched actions like crouching. We also talked with each other using our headsets, which helped you forget we were in a room smaller than the vastness of the videogame.
![]() |
![]() ![]() ![]() "Singularity" VR experience at Zero Latency (several images courtesy of uploadvr.com link) |
Of all the activities in Vegas, I think this was the one Caiqian and I talked most about after the experience, that's how impressed and enthused we were (it helped that I, "WhiteTie" got 1st place and "Cai" didn't get last in our group). When the technology gets cheaper, lighter, and wireless I have no doubt that it will become widespread.
Other Activities
One less successful attempt at crossing off a bucket list item was wall trampolining. Let's just say that trying to teach myself in an hour didn't work, and next time I'll spring the extra money to have a trainer show me how to walk and flip off walls while trampolining. This one I've decided I can't cross off yet.
![]() |
| Wall Trampoline Facilities at Xplozone |
If I was asked what's the best free activity in Vegas, my answer without hesitation would be watching the Bellagio Fountains.
![]() |
![]() Caiqian loves the Bellagio Fountains at night |
Of the many shows we watched, Caiqian's favorite was "Uptown Funk" by Bruno Mars.
As some of you may know, Caiqian has an interest in glass blowing/fusing/etcetera, so we were quite happy when we stumbled accidently into a large Chihuly (a glass artist Caiqian knows) exhibit in the Bellagio lobby.
Also in the Bellagio is the world's largest chocolate fountain, although the day we went no chocolate was flowing :\
Speaking of chocolate, that brings me to one of the best part of Las Vegas...
There were a lot of restaurants that we visited in Las Vegas. One that I've been curious about for a while is Momofuku, mostly because I know about the one in New York. Now the reason why I've wanted to go to Momofuku is because Grummy in my family also goes by "momoh" so the restaurant name is particularly funny, as Grummy has pointed out previously.
The first thing I noticed about Momofuku was that they offer yuzu lemonade, and I bought a glass since I can't taste yuzu when it's used in dishes (allowing me to ingest large quantities of the sour citrus flavor). However, I am pleased to say I sould faintly taste the yuzu in the yuzu juice, so I'm not completely blind to the flavor!
The Food
There were a lot of restaurants that we visited in Las Vegas. One that I've been curious about for a while is Momofuku, mostly because I know about the one in New York. Now the reason why I've wanted to go to Momofuku is because Grummy in my family also goes by "momoh" so the restaurant name is particularly funny, as Grummy has pointed out previously.
The first thing I noticed about Momofuku was that they offer yuzu lemonade, and I bought a glass since I can't taste yuzu when it's used in dishes (allowing me to ingest large quantities of the sour citrus flavor). However, I am pleased to say I sould faintly taste the yuzu in the yuzu juice, so I'm not completely blind to the flavor!
![]() |
![]() ![]() Yuzu juice, pork belly/shiitake/shrimp buns, and pork ramen at Momofuku |
I'm happy to say Momofuku, in addition to having a funny name, had my new favorite ramen (it had a deliciously rich, roasted, pulled pork type of broth) although I know Caiqian still thinks that Ramen Tatsuya's in Austin is still #1.
Another instant hit was our first Gordon Ramsay restaurant, Gordon Ramsay Fish and Chips. It focuses almost exclusively on fish and chips and drinks (we got a sticky toffee pudding shake). The chips (fries) were very good, but the fish was the most amazing fried fish I've ever tasted. juicy, hot white fish covered in a crispy, thin, almost crunchy golden brown crust that was perfectly seasoned. Accompanying the dish was tartar sauce and a new sauce, mango & curry, that I'll have to make in my kitchen one day.
Another instant hit was our first Gordon Ramsay restaurant, Gordon Ramsay Fish and Chips. It focuses almost exclusively on fish and chips and drinks (we got a sticky toffee pudding shake). The chips (fries) were very good, but the fish was the most amazing fried fish I've ever tasted. juicy, hot white fish covered in a crispy, thin, almost crunchy golden brown crust that was perfectly seasoned. Accompanying the dish was tartar sauce and a new sauce, mango & curry, that I'll have to make in my kitchen one day.
![]() |
| Gordon Ramsay Fish and Chips (w/ Curry & Mango and tartar sauces) and a Sticky Toffee Pudding Shake |
After the blow-out success at Gordon Ramsay Fish and Chips, we had to go to Hell's Kitchen, a restaurant which featured Gordon's famous lobster risotto and Beef Wellington (both dishes mentioned often on his shows).
![]() |
![]() ![]() Lobster Risotto, Beef Wellington, and Sticky Toffee pudding with Speculoos ice cream at Hell's Kitchen |
The Wellington was very good, but I wasn't blown away. The dish was made excellently, with excellent ingredients, but it did not surprise me, if you can imagine what a tender steak wrapped in crispy puffed pastry tasted like, that's kinda what it tasted like to me. Risotto was great (lobster top notch juicy and tender) and the dessert was very rich (so we were happy to split).
At our next restaurant, Bruxie, Caiqian and I discovered our newfound love for belgian waffles. Belgian waffles are not doughy or floury, instead they are super crispy on the outside, thin, and very "airy"or bubbly on the inside. Due to the combination of food quality and reasonable price, we went here three times to eat their chicken waffle sandwiches and the incredible creme brulee waffle (with strawberries).
At our next restaurant, Bruxie, Caiqian and I discovered our newfound love for belgian waffles. Belgian waffles are not doughy or floury, instead they are super crispy on the outside, thin, and very "airy"or bubbly on the inside. Due to the combination of food quality and reasonable price, we went here three times to eat their chicken waffle sandwiches and the incredible creme brulee waffle (with strawberries).
![]() |
![]() ![]() Chicken Sandwich and Creme Brulee Waffle at Bruxie |
Eggslut was a restaurant we had a lot of hype for, and always had a huge line, but we were just OK with the food. If it taught us anything, it reinforced that I should try my hand at sous vide eggs since their main money-maker is sous-vide egg over potato puree in a glass jar.
![]() |
| Sausage, egg, and cheese sandwich and "slut" with crostinis at Eggslut |
I've saved the best Vegas food discovery for last.
When I was researching what food is unique in Vegas, I learned about AYCE (all you can eat) sushi. AYCE sushi is not just buffet sushi, this is real, quality nigiri and sushi rolls, except it's all you can eat for ~$20-$27 per person.
Caiqian and I loaded up on sea urchin (uni), salmon, fatty salmon belly, eel (unagi), sweet shrimp, giant clam, scallop, and many more pieces of sushi that would have easy been ~$100 per person in Houston but somehow was so cheap here.
The AYCE even included bbq beef (galbi), mussels, oysters, and dessert.
As you can imagine we went to two restaurants for AYCE sushi. Below is our favorite, from Sushi Way.
When I was researching what food is unique in Vegas, I learned about AYCE (all you can eat) sushi. AYCE sushi is not just buffet sushi, this is real, quality nigiri and sushi rolls, except it's all you can eat for ~$20-$27 per person.
Caiqian and I loaded up on sea urchin (uni), salmon, fatty salmon belly, eel (unagi), sweet shrimp, giant clam, scallop, and many more pieces of sushi that would have easy been ~$100 per person in Houston but somehow was so cheap here.
The AYCE even included bbq beef (galbi), mussels, oysters, and dessert.
As you can imagine we went to two restaurants for AYCE sushi. Below is our favorite, from Sushi Way.
![]() |
![]() Amazing ACYE Nigiri Sushi from Sushi Way |
Our second destination was a local favorite, Yama sushi, which we wouldn't recommend based off the nigiri, but had very good rolls (which is why we think multiple locals recommended it).
If you are in Vegas please do yourself a favor and go to Sushi Way.
So that was our food experience in Vegas. My main takeaways (to improve my home cooking) are:
- Make belgian waffles (Bruxie)
- Make mango & curry dipping sauce (Gordon Ramsay)
- Learn how to sous vide eggs (Eggslut and Momofuku ramen)
But I know there's one last thing you are curious about for our trip, since we were in Vegas after all...
Winning at the Slots
So at our hotel, Tropicana, if you sign up for a "casino card" they will load it with $10 of credit. You can't cash the $10 out directly, but you can use it to gamble and any cash winnings you do get to keep. So Caiqian and I walked around and found the "best" penny machine and I watched Caiqian press the 1¢ button 1000 times until the entire $10 of credit was used up.
![]() |
![]() Watching Caiqian pressing one button 1000 times has never been so much fun. |
Watching us play the slots was fun, and Caiqian did begin to understand the thrill, like when she got a full screen of the best symbol, paying out 50¢
![]() |
| 50x multiplier for this payout! |
Another great benefit of staying in one spot is we eventually attracted a waitress who offered us free drinks. This is a smart tactic because when we asked for a drink the waitress left to get our drinks, which in theory could compel us to keep gambling, giving the House more money. I think we came out ahead though, since it was free and we got to drink three free mimosas and a coffee while playing.
![]() |
| We played slots for so long that we started getting free coffee and mimosas from the waitstaff |
Eventually we used up all the credit, and turned the $10 of credit into $9 of cold, hard US currency.
![]() |
| Successfully turned 10 imaginary dollars into 9 real dollars! |
We did lose $5 on other machines before learning about the $10 credit trick, BUT overall we net $4 at the casinos. So yes, we did win in Vegas...
And that's it for this trip. Thank you to all who read our long post all the way to the bottom. I don't know where or even when my next trip will be now that my work is about to ramp up. In fact, I just learned today that I officially have a new manager, symbolizing that we are entering a new phase of startup. Until next time!
And that's it for this trip. Thank you to all who read our long post all the way to the bottom. I don't know where or even when my next trip will be now that my work is about to ramp up. In fact, I just learned today that I officially have a new manager, symbolizing that we are entering a new phase of startup. Until next time!









































No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.