![]() |
| Seals |
After seeing the seals, we went to San Francisco's Exploratorium, where we observed lots of fascinating science experiments, including a vapor vortex that we were allowed to touch.
One of our favorite exhibits was seeing the live sea urchins, which were eating baby carrots at an astoundingly slow pace.
![]() |
![]() Om Nom Nom |
Our favorite exhibit however was the Magnetic Labyrinth, captured on video below. The magnetic labyrinth consists of a ferromagnetic fluid trapped between two glass sheets, manipulated by a magnet underneath that the user holds. Caiqian loves it so much that I'm now attempting to recreate it back in Austin.
After we left the Exploratorium, Caiqian bought some turtle bread, which is apparently a thing here in California.
![]() |
| Turtle Bread |
Later, when Caiqian was having her interviews, Uncle Oreste brought me out to a golf range, where I swung a real club for the first time. There are certain appeals abut playing golf over other sports, such as its slowness and lack of running. Maybe I'll take up golf in the future.
One of the best parts of our California trip was seeing Gilroy Gardens, a one of a kind flora-themed amusement park.
The park featured many surreal trimmed bushes, which I now know is called topiary.
There were also fun vehicles around the park, like a Ferris wheel, miniature car, a train, and even a monorail.
|
|
| Monorail! (Simpson's song, opens in new tab) |
My favorite part of the park however were the circus trees, which were art works made of trees. The most famous one was the basket tree, which is made from 6 Sycamores grafted 42 times.
There was also the arch tree, which is made from two trees grafted into one.
A personal favorite was the Oil Rig Tree.
Currently Caiqian is playing Fire Emblem Awakening, which fits perfectly with this tree.
Caiqian and I also enjoyed the majestic four legged giant.
| The Four-Legged Giant |
Unfortunately, that's we began mimicing the trees.
The sillier the shape, the more Caiqian and I tried to replicate it.
Eventually, it started getting hot and we decided to leave the park, but not before snapping pictures of the remaining circus trees.
My favorite part about California wasn't Gilroy Gardens though. It was riding on Uncle Oreste's Self Balancing Unicycle, Version 3 (shorthand, SBUV3). The first time I rode it, I couldn't go a yard, but by day three I had managed to make it down a whole street.
The SBUV3 was an incredibly useful stepping stone for learning how to ride my unicycle, which has been a project of mine for months now. I'll be sure to post when I've finally mastered the art of unicycling.






I'm doing a presentation on rare/unique trees around the world and was looking for images of trees at Gilroy Gardens. I saw the "Zig Zag Tree" picture and laughed out loud. I hope you don't mind if I put it in my presentation :P
ReplyDelete